Friday, December 31, 2010

Do you judge a person?

Do you judge people during your first interaction? And categorize them in different brackets?
I do not. I am quite tolerable when it comes to people.
Frankly, i think it is more of that "i don't care as long as it does not affect me" attitude that i use when meeting people.

But once in a while, there comes along a person who forces you to judge. Sometimes with just a 10 min interaction. I did that yesterday. And it has been eating me since then.

I want to a birthday party with kid y'day. We were late- it was a work day and there was no way we could be there before that. But since i promised the kid, i took him to their house for a quick wish and dash. Apart from us, there was only another couple who were present.We walked in , wished, gave the gift , and of course were offered the cake . Those 10 minutes when the kid was wolfing down the cake, i made small talk with the mother- i apologized for the delay and blamed it on my commute from work. The father of the child   (who i have never met before), who was party to this conversation took over then.He asked about the kids school, how long we have been here etc.

Suddenly, out of the blue, he asks me " What does sir do?"

It took me a minute to understand that he was referring to the husband as "Sir". My first instinct was to tell him that the name was not "sir". So i kept quite and answered him. The b'day girls mom helpfully added that i work in the city and hence we were late. He acknowledged it with a nod, and continued asking me what the husbands job was all about. I was surprised that he did not ask me what i do. So clammed up after a while.

A little while later, another guest walked in, he introduced the couple who had come in before us to them. He mentioned where they stay, and what the husband did for a living and the lady as " his wife". There was no mention about her work. She was a working professional as well, and he felt no need to introduce her as a professional. I was aghast.

I my mind, i was thinking that he had judged me - because i was a woman, and maybe not capable of holding a job of any value.Same with the other lady guest.

In that moment, i judged him. As someone i probably will have no respect in life for. I wondered how he must be introducing his wife to people in his social circle. I am pretty sure he says "this is my wife", without taking her name.

And it kept eating me.That fact that i had formed an opinion of some one i had met barely 10 minutes before. I told myself that i was being silly, that i was maybe being harsh. maybe he wasn't like that. But when i woke up this morning, i felt better about judging him.

No, i am not married to "sir", and he does not introduce me as " my wife". If someone cannot identify me as a person with a distinct personality, it is his loss. And i still hold my judgement against him.

6 comments:

bitsofchocolate December 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM  

So - you aren't going to enlighten us on what "Sir" does ;-)

Wish you'd thrown a slice of cake at that boorish-MCP neanderthal

In love with my life December 31, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

Cake? I wanted to throw him against the wall. But i kept my grace, because his wife is a very nice lady.

starry eyed December 31, 2010 at 5:12 PM  

Maybe if his wife wasn't a very nice lady, and 'threw' him around some, he might get shaken out of his patriarchal attitude! :P

I get this all the time, coz I work from home and write for a living, both of which are condescendingly considered timepass by various family and friends. Gah!

Jeena R. Papaadi January 1, 2011 at 12:48 PM  

Some people impress their goodness or nastiness on us so strongly even on the first meeting that we can't help but form a judgement within the space of a few minutes.

Some are so callous (maybe they are not even aware of it) and use words that hurt so deeply that we never want to see them again.

I wonder what sort of a child this man you've mentioned is raising.

Prabha January 20, 2011 at 5:47 AM  

An acquaintance once asked me if my "yajamanru" (boss or owner in kannada) was at home. It took me a few seconds to realize he was asking about my husband. :)

E February 26, 2011 at 9:35 AM  

You are eloquent... do not waste your time questioning or worrying about your judgement.