Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Identities in a crowded world

I am a normal average middle class Indian. The kind who aspires to do well, save for a house, for retirement, have money tucked away for emergencies and parents healthcare. Also the kind who upon hearing about the lives of friends abroad, wishes one was abroad.

---dreams about living abroad one day, the clean roads, the winters that do not exist in India, to make a snowman, work 8 hours a day and have a quality life. Of doing a vacation once a year to perhaps one of those picturesque locations oft seen in travelogues.

--wonder if we should have moved out of the country earlier, like a lot of friends, managed a citizenship, visit India once in two years for 30 days, take pictures of self and kids every week, at every juncture in life- to share with folks back home, video chat with loved one’s and complain about non availability of authentic Indian food.

True, I harbour all these thoughts and wishes.

But then....

There are days when I feel the need to be part of a crowd and quietly take a detour to the market on a busy day with no aim to buy anything. Just walking through the crowds, taking in the sights and sounds, looking out for anything that catches my fancy, I realize my identity.

Deep down inside, I am still a part of a large extended family. I need my daily dose of family matters, chatter and gossip. I need to find out what mom cooked for dinner today. I need to attend that twice removed cousin’s youngest daughter’s engagement. I need to be around my people, see that familiar old house once in six months, pray at the family deity’s temple, and spend the night sitting and chatting in moonlight.

I am still in India, just 2000 kms from my parents, not seen them for exactly 4 months, not been home for 18 months, and homesick like hell. I am in the most crowded city, meet people who want to know intricate details of my life 25 seconds after they meet, and still feel lonely at times.

That dream of living abroad some day, the more I think about it, less appealing it sounds now. Travel I will, but home is where the heart is.

And home will never be more than a night’s drive from where my folks are. Ever.

13 comments:

MiM August 12, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

...and i think i want to cry. this post made me so sad and feel so bad, stray grey

In love with my life August 13, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

MinM: Did i?i am sorry..was pretty depressed myself yesterday. Hope you get to see your folks very soon.

MiM August 14, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

how many questions did i get right?
pliss to answer @ my blog

Sands August 14, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

Got here from MiM's blog. Beautifully written. I myself live in a different country but can relate to each of your sentiments and would love to come bacj to it someday :)

starry eyed August 15, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

Sigh! I want to stay in India:) I've lived abroad enough and more...yes there's an upside, but the downside gets hard to handle. at least for me.

An astrologer predicted that we would be abroad by Sept and I shook my head vigourously. India is it for me...cannot imagine globe-trotting with two kids suddenly:( Maybe I'm pushing away adventure and new experiences...but staid and boring routines rock:) Especialy, as you described, in the middle of buzzing India!

Loved this post!

Mom Gone Mad August 17, 2009 at 5:21 AM  

echoing MiM here.

Videshi life sucks ass a lot too - even while we are sitting in a meadow with flowers crushed by our arses.

Beautiful post. Made me long.

Anonymous August 19, 2009 at 2:44 AM  

Home is a wonderful, wonderful place.

sakhi August 19, 2009 at 10:00 AM  

SIGH!!

So heart felt and how can someone feel ditto about the stuff that i feel... SIGH, again!

Nino's Mum August 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM  

ditto. damn.
absolutely beautifully put.

In love with my life August 27, 2009 at 10:01 AM  

Sands: The feelings for home are the same, which ever part of the world we are , right?

Starry: We just need our daily fix of that crowds and smells in tell you:-)

MgM:No place like home and being with parents. Completely.

In love with my life August 27, 2009 at 10:03 AM  

Era: It is, and nothing compares to that, ever!

Sakhi: Birds of the same feather, maybe? Good to meet you BTW:-)

NM:Thankee. Been missing you here.

Unknown November 14, 2009 at 10:09 PM  

the same thoughts have gone through my mind...
I used to dream living abroad,coming home once in a year with loads of gifts,building a beautiful home back in kerala..
But now i know i dont want that.I want to be here in india..with my dear and near ones..sharing the good and bad times with them....
And when i make enough money will travel around the world

Very touching post

Anonymous February 5, 2011 at 9:50 PM  

I seldom leave comments on blog, but I have been to this post which was recommended by my friend, lots of valuable details, thanks again.