Thursday, December 24, 2009

What is your child to you?

That sounds like a question from "ask the doctor" column, even to me.


But really, what do they mean to our lives? What changes have they bought to us as a person?
Love/ Responsibility/Caring and all that emotions apart? Is there one single change that a kid brings to your life?

To me, i think it is the acceptance and realization of what is do-able and what is not. Of being able to understand reality as it is, and not fool myself into believing i can do more than i am capable of. Also a catalyst to find several resources in me, one's that i never knew existed.

With my child, i am just myself. I see in him an extension of both our personalities. He brings out the best and worst in me. In his eyes, i see myself as the world sees me. And there, i measure myself as a person. He, is my reality check- and a very effective one at that.

What is yours?

6 comments:

Niv December 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

Well, for starters, my children taught me the word PATIENCE, lol:)

Definitely showed me how to loosen up and enjoy the moment, a new point of view on things in life.

Dunno if shes a reality check although.

starry eyed December 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

My kids also bring out the worst and the best, and because I know they'll remember the worst more than the best, I'm forced to keep working on my faults!!! They're also responsibility that's rewarding and the meaning of my life. Without them, life would be very very empty.

mim December 25, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

i am with starry. my kids showcase the qualities that i manage to keep on the backburner with the world.

with them i have frustration, anger, impatience...

and yet. they make me live, love, laugh.

In love with my life December 28, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

Niv: Agree with you on that..

Starry: Wow! very well said.

MinM:"showcase the qualities" True true...they bring out so much we like to believe never existed right?

Anonymous December 29, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

I don't have a child yet. When I do; she will be my world to live in.

Jean January 5, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

Good blog.
"He brings out the best and worst in me" is so very true. My son (4 yrs old) has taught me a lot of things - about myself. He shows me the extremes to which I could go - both in good ways and not so good. And he also never ceases to amaze me with his thoughts, words, creativities,... Sometimes I fear the time would fly so fast before I could capture the memories and store them for the future!

Keep smiling!
@jean_blore