Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Work's worth

That time of the year has come and gone. The time of appraisals/ reviews and all the drama associated with it.


A few years ago, i lived that life. Work was defined by the numbers on the scoreboard. Did i make it, or not? and life was a stress test, that built up from december on..and ended in explosions in early april.
Can't complain, they have not been bad. But the very thought of having to to go through this process was very undesirable! I made it through well, every year, made money, earned increments, but none of them left a smile on my face.

The last 3 years have been different. I work , stretch deadlines, slog to finish work, leave late at times, but never because i was asked to. There is never a score board to fill, nor a target to cross for the incentive. Nothing to stir up the non competitive soul in me. But surprisingly, it works!!

I do it for myself. For my practice and the client who pays money that runs this small firm that i am a part of. I have had no formal appraisal/ review in 3 years. Everyone knows what each of us do. Excel sheets need not be filed to proclaim what is already known.

In an exceptionally bad year that we left behind us, we all took a salary cut without a wink. And did not brood over it for even a minute. There were extreme lows for a small firm like us , but we sailed through. There were times when morale was low, some of out senior talent left us, and we were ready to kill people.

But then, all this is forgotten, when the person that matters , she of very few words, sits next to you on a beach, and says " You did great, and not just today. All through last year. Thank you for having faith".

For me, that was my appraisal, and it meant so much more than the data that any excel sheet could ever get out.

Sometimes, one line judges our "work's worth". This one appraisal, made me smile.

6 comments:

A journey called Life April 13, 2010 at 7:05 PM  

How very true.. somtimes its comments like these that make those numbers blur.. that make us feel like we have really added value and contributed.. lovely write up as always SGM

Niv April 13, 2010 at 10:37 PM  

Great news!

Definitely a person's words matter a whole lot more than pages of figures, porving your efficiency, although I suppose, having both would be dishy lol:)
Your firm sounds like a nice and cosy place:)
wish I could work for such a place....

Nino's Mum April 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

*standing up and clapping*
Before I tell you how beautifully and honestly this was written, and that i carried a bit of your soul in it, you've done that thing most people chicken out of: your own practice. may the years to come only get better.

In love with my life April 16, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

AJ:Thank you. Sometimes a line well said means more than anything else right?

Niv: Thank you..I am sure you will very soon get back to working. However, personally , this achievement is not a patch on being able to get into a jeans after a year. YAY! to you for that..

In love with my life April 16, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

NM: Thank you NM. I miss reading you more often. I admit being guilty as well, but i can't complain about myself. So, please blog more.

manoranjini April 20, 2010 at 9:41 PM  

Awesome!People would kill to be in your shoes ..I know I would .. ;)