Monday, January 11, 2010

Friday of paradoxes

It was a friday of paradoxes.


First was the guy who managed to ask the cab to take him to a different place, exactly the moment i asked to be taken to office, this after 15 mins of waiting for a cab!!! In true mumbai fashion, we decided to share the cab, since he had to cross my office to reach his destination, despite my apprehension of his appearance and demeanor.
So he got into the front seat with the driver, and we rode in silence( another of those gems of mumbai culture), and when i was alighting, handed him my share of the cab fare.
He turns to me and says " i would never ask my sister to share cab fare".And goes onto add" Have a good day sister", and moved on. Needless to say, i was happy that a stranger helped me.

The same evening, i waited outside the station to get an auto to take me home. After 25 mins, one conceded. A smartly dressed guy, carrying a laptop who was standing in line behind quickly came up and asked if he could share the auto as he was headed to the same place. I quickly thought back to the morning's incident, decided it was my chance to repay the niceties, and said " sure, we can"

This is what followed.....

Like every courteous stranger, we sat at extreme ends of the seat. I promptly started to read the " Brad Meltzer" book from where i left off. He was sitting crouched, with a hanky covering his nose, which i assume was dust protection.

>>>2 mins into the ride..

Me: Where exactly do you have to get down at C...?
He: Just before we reach there, i'll will tell you when we are about to reach.
Me: Ok.

>> 5 mins later...

He: I am not feeling too well.
Me: ok, so...what ?
He: Can i lie down on your lap?
Me: Of course not!!!!*stares daggers*
He : Please, i really went to lie down( he said 'want to' and not 'need to')
Me: *fuse blows** in my most threatening tone*. Ok, you could get down here, take another auto/cab . There will be enough place to lie down all the way to your home or maybe hospital.
He: Ok, i'll get down.

I had the auto guy stop and let off this man then and there. Then the auto guy and me had a hearty laugh. He drops me home and says" Appearances are so deceptive madam. He looked like he was a very decent office wala chap". ........So did i, buddy, so did i.

Lesson learnt, no more sharing autos. Niceties can go die!


10 comments:

Niv January 11, 2010 at 1:29 PM  

Amazing that you could see 2 sides of the same coin in one evening itself!
So is it just once a week?:)
Blogging I mean:)

nitya January 11, 2010 at 1:48 PM  

OMG! I guess it can't get weirder than this!!!! But glad they are not ALL weirdos.

starry eyed January 11, 2010 at 4:51 PM  

Eeeeeeks! I was feeling all nice n idealistic reading the first part too! Phew at the second part!

Amit January 11, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

KILL that bastard

VJ January 12, 2010 at 9:03 AM  

OMG !!!
appearances are really deceptive isnt it?

Jean January 13, 2010 at 8:23 PM  

:)
No, really, the world doesn't want people to be nice!

Anonymous January 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

I wish not concur on it. I assume precise post. Specially the appellation attracted me to review the sound story.

Anonymous January 14, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

Assuming you slapped him Good Bye! which is righteous

In love with my life January 15, 2010 at 3:20 PM  

Niv: Looks like once in a week.

Nitya: I wished away all your weirdo's, and they have decided to follow me now!!

Starry: Eeeks indeed. I should als trust my instincts maybe!

In love with my life January 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

Amit: If only it was so easy. And whjat would i say.." i killed him because he acted sick"? Lol!!

VJ: Yes, they are. And loong time no news. All well there. Keep thinking about you when ever i hear about a new so called " racist" attack.

Anon: Errr no, i was very zen, very nicely told him to get off.