Friday, January 15, 2010

Of being mother goose...

I have been...always ready with a word of advise, a plan, a way forward such stuff....the quentessential mother goose of the premises- keeper of secrets, agony aunt.

Always wondered what made people turn to me? Not that it mattered,still!

But now,

I have this small tidbits of conversation with someone in the family i am very fond of, almost everyday. She is battling grief of magnitude and kind that a lot many of us have never been exposed to.

She asks me questions, and i hesitate to respond. I can't just be agony aunt to her and give her a pep talk on " all will be well" or " this is destiny". There are enough people to tell her that. The magnitude of her questions overwhelm me. I have to step into her shoes, think over how i would react and respond in a situation and then reply to her.

I realize then the difference between advicing and guiding .

Advice i can- because the consequences are for the implementer to face. But a guide cannot- the hand needs to be held till the end of the cliff, and make sure they land on their feet.

I don't know if what i say makes a difference in her thought process, or for that matter if they are even registering in her mind now. None of what is say may translate into her life, ever.

But for me, i am forced to re think the way i respond to people- reciprocating the faith, the responsibility that comes along, and the realization that this is what i stand for in life.




6 comments:

starry eyed January 17, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

What a lovely whimsical introspective post. So glad you are there for your friend, consciously and not automatically, if you know what I mean. Hugs.

Anonymous January 18, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

Nice fill someone in on and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous January 18, 2010 at 5:13 PM  

Suggestions and Advices are given to any problem is from our vantage point to it. Give your suggestion/advice to her wisely. She wouldn't be asking you questions if she does not need your help. Help her in any which way you can.

Niv January 22, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

hey, its a week now:)

In love with my life January 27, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

Starry: I hope to be able to be there as long as i can, god willing.

Anon: Trying to.

Niv: I can only think of pathetic excuses. So shall not say anything.

suja February 5, 2010 at 4:54 PM  

chechi, i know that my questions dont have answers, not clear cut ones..Its just that sometimes i miss this person i used to talk to thrice a day, wherever we were, however irritated/happy we were with each other; and then i send you a msg.I had never attached so much importance to marriage, but now that my better half(he really was/is(?))is now in this condition i really know how nice it was to have him around. It wasnt easy- I never loved him from the start- i took my time, and then, when i knew what i had,i took a lot of effort just to live with him-to get that transfer-and when everything turned ok, this...That makes me think i dont desrve good things in life...Maybe bcoz i have never felt sadness till now- this seems unbearable..... Please know that iam sending u msgs just bcoz i know u wil reply..and my mobile comes alive for a moment...Sometimes life's litle moments mean a lot...