Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My two cents too...

I joined the pink chaddi campaign. To be specific, i joined the facebook group that calls them selves" A Consortium of Pub-going, Loose and Forward Women".

We have never"celebrated" Valentine's day- if you discount the act of buying cards for each other at Fountainhead in circa 1997. And i have not stepped inside a pub in maybe about 6 years now. So what?

I might just decide to go today and Shri Ram Sena can classify me as " loose and forward woman". Add to the fact that most of my best friends are men. MEN! . I am sure Mr. Muthalik will have a problem if i decide to jump with joy and hug my best friends and hold hands with them publicly because they are "men" and of course, holding hands hugging will not be right according to our religious sentiments.

I usually play very safe under such circumstances and slink off..what got me this time was the reaction of the local Ram Sena representative to this article.

"The Sri Ram Sene said the Consortium of Pubgoing, Loose and Forward Women was free to protest any way it thought fit. “It’s a free country after all. However, we would like to know the backgrounds of these people since nobody from good families would resort to such steps which are very cheap,’’ its Bangalore unit president Vasanth Kumar Bhavani said. "

Ahhh...the moral police.

I am off to buy pink chaddies and send them in hoardes to Shri Ram Sena, because " I AM from a good family, I AM educated, I AM a citizen of this country, and it allows me freedom of speech, ( which does not ncessarily translate into freedom of action, as they have mis understood) . I am part of a very well settled, religious family,and i completely believe that beating up women is also" AGAINST INDIAN CULTURE"- oh, did they miss that part while reading up our culture??

THAT , is my background and i stand by the campaign. Just so they know "who resorts to such steps which are very cheap’’-----THEY DO.

0 comments: