Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Being a mom

Nitya asked me " why don't you do this tag"? Never done one before, but couldn't think of a good reason why i should not....so there.

Some of the zillion reasons why i love being a mother...these are random 5, not really the top 5.

>>I love being a mother because having V gave an Axis for my life. From someone who is fiercely independent and lived life in her own terms, V now dictates the course of my life. Every decision, every step in life is taken around him and his comforts. He has bought in a purpose and given direction for the rest of our life. Every day in the last four years, i have looked at him and wondered what i was doing with my life before him.


>>Motherhood has made me appreciate the smaller, slower things in life. Somewhere over the years of working, i stopped smelling the flowers and watching the clouds. With V, everything matters. The joys of just being together and doing nothing. The myraid emotions that we go through during the course of the day.. He makes sure i do not miss the fine print of life.

>>Being a mother has changed my equestion with my parents, and the way they acknowledge me. I see them in a whole new light...every emotion, every challenge, every thrill that i go through, reminds me that they went through the same, in another age, with me and my sister. I wonder how they did such a fine job of it? Times were different, resources were less, but we were always contented. I always admired my parents. Now i am in awe of them. I wish to be at least half capable as them.

>>Being a mother has given new friends,and neighbours who did not know existed before. AND- i met ALL of them through V. A walk to the park or the grocer is never complete with some random stranger( to me) stopping by to say hello to V and introducing themselves as mama/ nana/ dadi/ chacchi of one of V's friends. He is a very social child and everyone in the complex knows us a V's mom and dad. If not for him, we would still be living our ignorable existence as 'that couple who appears once in a quarter for meetings'.

>>Motherhood has made me an utter romantic . Seeing TB transition from being my best friend to the one i wanted to spend my life with was a dream come true. Watching him as a father has been one of the most fulfilling things in life. The love in his eyes when he looks at V, the way he melts when V calls him 'acha', the mischeif in their eyes when they plan to tickle me....
Most of the times, i watch them quietly from a corner and fall in love all over again with TB, and with the son who looks exactly like him. I have moments when i feel my heart could burst with love, times when i feel my heart melt to a mush and never hesitate a hug or a kiss- be that to the son or the father. Five years ago- i would have sniggered at myself and said " so teenage".
Now i am that.

I'd like to cheat and write another 20, but it may not stop there. So i'll stop now. And writing this hasn't been easy without V around.


Can't think of anyone who has not done this tag yet..if there is someone, feel free.