Thursday, February 4, 2010

A child's worth

I am sitting next to the feverish kid, stroking his hair, and patting him off to sleep, while he mumbles in meftal induced drowsiness. It is 2 AM and my eyelids are giving up.


The grandmother comes over from her room, sits on one end of the bed and strokes his legs. I tell her to get some sleep, this nocturnal exercise is not going to help her BP. She refuses, stays.

I am holding the kids hands, and notice some tiny cuts and bruises that were not there earlier. I examine them like a painter who has just discovered a speck of dirt on his precious artwork. It hurts to see the blackened knee, the red line on the ankle and elbows. I am chasing that one elusive mosquito that is hovering around his head, with continued vigour.

I turn to look at what grandma has discovered while i was busy being besotted with love and displaying in unabashedly, and realize, that it is me she looking at the. She holds my palms and strokes them, looks at the wrinkles at the elbows, tucks in one stray hair behind my ear....
....just like a painter who has discovered a speck of dust on his precious artwork.

Right there, in that moment, i realize a child's worth to the mother and realize how blessed i am.


15 comments:

Nino's Mum February 4, 2010 at 6:13 PM  

lovely. absolutely lovely.
and what a precious moment.

A journey called Life February 4, 2010 at 6:48 PM  

delurking- had to.. this piece of writing took my breath away and rendered me speechless.. awesome awesome awesome writing..

InstantMusings February 4, 2010 at 7:18 PM  

Very touching. Brilliant writing. The moment is special, indeed.

Anonymous February 4, 2010 at 8:21 PM  

Kid will get well soon.

We are truly blessed to get mother like her & you :-)

Niv February 4, 2010 at 10:55 PM  

had the goosee pimple effect....
, you write beautifully.....

VJ February 5, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

Beautiful !!!

starry eyed February 5, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

So beautiful! Loved it...you are lucky in mother love...both ways!

nitya February 5, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

I hope he is doing better now. Many hugs and get well wishes.
And you take care too!

In love with my life February 5, 2010 at 1:56 PM  

NM: Thank you. And why are you not writing.It is a work break, right..not a blog break.

Aj: Thank you. Much honoured.

Pradeep: The moment was captured inm y mind and stayed on..hence the post

In love with my life February 5, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Anon: And to have sisters like you too:-)

Niv: Ok, you need to stop saying that. I'm feeling shy now:-)

VJ: Where art thou? All well on your side of aussieland?

In love with my life February 5, 2010 at 1:59 PM  

Starry: Lucky, yes. And counting my stars:-)

Nitya: Thank you, he is better today. Which translates to standing on head and diving onto the bean bag. He is really well:-)

Anonymous February 7, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

All is well on my end. Media on both sides have hyped the issue. Thanks heaps for asking.

VJ February 8, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Previous comment was by me VJ

Mom Gone Mad February 13, 2010 at 3:00 AM  

lovely piece. I am catching my breath and out of words.

Choxbox February 19, 2010 at 9:14 PM  

Beautiful :)

First time here - over from Starry.