Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Worrying

I am a semi intense worry wart...while i have tried my level best in the last 3 decades to act otherwise and put up a brave face,it is not so.
I worry about a lot of things, about everything.......when i think back on the events in my life, i can't recollect one thing that i have gone through without worrying. I guess worrying is very normal...that's what everyone tells me. But, let me point out the difference, i do not just worry about today, i worry in anticipation tooo!!!!!! Now that must be new.

I can get worked up for things that affect me directly( read-V not eating breakfast when we have exactly 10 mins for school bus/ TB promising to call back in two mins and forgetting to do so for 10 hours etc), things that do not affect me directly( like deficit rains this monsoon/ why does cousin x want to quit her job etc)..and very generalistic things, that have nothing to do with my life(the sea link yet to finish/ a once met acquaintance who has just quit her job )......and anything that deserves a thought.

I have to mention here the heartache associated with my worries stay put inside my mind...would not be a wise idea to share all these. Not very sure what anyone would make out of these thoughts! So really, the downside of worrying is that i am left debating and holding back a lot conflicting emotions within, most of the time.
The upside of this worrying, though is the fact that i am usually prepared for most adversities by the time they arrive. In the face of adversity, only action is pending..it has been worried over already. And it works well for me, at least it has till now.
I once read an article that i am quoting here

"NOT ALL worrying is bad.
It can alert us to danger, help us rehearse what to do if something does happen, and prompt us to take constructive action. Take advantage of that kind of worry.
It's the negative, obsessive worry that's bad. It drains and paralyses us from doing something useful. It causes insomnia and leads to headaches, hypertension and raised blood pressure.
It lowers our self-confidence and makes us feel anxious, depressed and discouraged. Here's how to banish it:
Stop the `What if ... ' thoughts. If you can't do anything to prevent what might happen (and probably won't), let go of it. Stop worrying about things that are happening now.
Take some constructive action if you can. Then relax. If you can't do anything, chill out and roll with it.
Stop worrying about things that have happened. We can't change the past but we can learn from it. See where you went wrong and put the lesson to good use. Then let it go.
The bottom line is that worrying about things you can't change, control or influence is like riding a rocking horse - it won't get you anywhere- KRIS COLE "

I am learning..to differentiate between the good worry and the negative worry.

0 comments: