Friday, March 20, 2009

“Smell is a potent wizard ..

.....that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.
Helen Keller(1880 - 1968).

There are lots of times when people, places , voices, music and events transport me back to some specific period in my life.

But smells! they take me back right to the moment that i last inhaled it...does that happen with all? I was always credited with a sharp sense of smell, but i think i greately undervalued it. As my life progresses and i mellow down i realize that is the one sense i remember and associate with more than anything else...

I had a smell associated with each one of my family.My sister used to smell of milk, even when she grew up..i think till about the time she discovered perfumes!I loved to sit next to her , just for that smell. Not the strong milk smell when you boil it, but the milder , grassy smell immediately after milking...

The only one whose smell i could never figure out was mine..i kept asking mom, and she used to find it quite funny i guess. TB was the first one to tell me what he felt i reminded him of...he thought i smelled like "water". Now if only i could check that myself!

I always pick up a book or a garment at a store and smell it before even i look at it..it just comes by habit..I smell the heads of all babies that are available in close quarters...i sidle upto my close one's so i could feel their smell....each one of them have an individual smell stamp...i go weak at my knees every time i smell TB's neck or V's head.

My earliest memories of seasons were the change in smells...freshly washed earth in rains, smell of grass in the windy season, the mango blossoms, the drying leaves...the scent of earth warming up in summer, the jasmine blooms, the smell of paddy --sap oozing, cut, dried, billowing in the wind, boiling in cauldron...the smell of ground cotton seeds and rice husk in the cowshed. Of kerosene and oil lamps...of gardenia's in a dark night.

I can still feel the way our very first house smelled..the perfume TB was using when i first met him.., the smell of bamboo on the southern corner of my house...the smell of drying mango stem sap at my father's ancestral house, after all of us had downed a few dozens with salt and chilli powder.

Oh! the smells. I could define my life with them.

This morning, i propped up V into the school cab, and rushed out of the building as usual..Stepped out and in a split second, i smelled summer- of earth warming up, of fallen mangoes and coral jasmine. I slowed down, stopped and savoured it all in.

In that moment, i was back at my house on a summer day, sitting on the mango tree with a book and listening to my philips radio hanging from the next branch.

Nothing is memorable than a smell to me. Once scent can bring back a lifetime..What brings you memories??

7 comments:

nitya March 20, 2009 at 1:30 PM  

Evocative post this... loved it... the smell of a new book is one of my favorites!

Nino's Mum March 20, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

a colleague's carelessly opened box of sambar at the table during the lunch break: reminds me of my mum and how she always smelt of spice and something nice when I was growing up: of the hot, fan-less kitchen and how her sweat and her favourite perfume 'poison', would all mingle up and smell unlike anything else, ever.
Beautiful post.

In love with my life March 20, 2009 at 2:38 PM  

Nithya: I love them too...i see V sniffing books at Crosswords and promply lose my heart to him again.

NM: What a smell can do no?It could be the oddest of combinations, but the memories they invoke..priceless

Anonymous March 20, 2009 at 5:19 PM  

rain, beautiful beautiful rain... that i see nearly everday here in KL.
it pours for an hour, quite like a shower on a high setting.

makes me smell water droplets, feel a bit of a chill, the waving leaves and trees...

and i remember the smell of the mud -- we have a term for it in tamil -- mann vasanai ...

and i remember home, ma, grandma, and get thus cosy feeling like i just snuggled under baby param;s soft blanket.

In love with my life March 20, 2009 at 5:34 PM  

MinM: For a second there, i felt the warmth of the blanket cocooning me.

Wish we could live in these moments...

Cynic in Wonderland March 23, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

lovely post. i had written a similiar one a few years ago - about how smells are hardwired into the psyche. wet earth after the first rains, early morning jasmine, smell of wind, of kerosene lamps for diwali, oh so many.

In love with my life March 23, 2009 at 3:59 PM  

It is magical how they transport us to a different time and place altogether, right?
Let me go dig up your archives and find that post now.