Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Weighty issues

V is proudly diplaying his stick thin arms and saying" see my muscles", and all i can see is bones and skin. His BMI index says he is at a healthy weight...but time every i look at him, theory flies out of the window.

Between me and TB, he looks underfed and over exercised- that which his parents should be subjected to. I subtly mention this to his pediatric- not the parent part, the not gaining weight part.
Doc wants to know if he eats at least two full meals in a day?- two?, yes.
Doc wants to know if he is tired all the time?- Never! his parents are , always.
He dismisses the question and points out that he is more agile and fit than the healthy looking nurse who sits outside. He is at best about 50 kg.

The more i think about it, i am convinced he has my fathers genes when it comes to weight. Dad i think gained maybe 2 kg in my entire lifetime!

My aunt had a theory about this....
-If you are from my fathers side of the family, you could eat three eggs and maybe lose 10 gms purely by the effort of eating.
- if you are from my mothers side, all you need is for a hen to cross the courtyard- there'll be extra three kilos magically added onto your weight!

He is going for his vacation to kerala..i am wondering how many" why is he so skinny?" i will have to evade, or pretend deaf to. I am very undecided between ...

-feeling apologetic about his appearance , and taking gazillions of advice from family on how to fatten him up- or-
-ignore such remarks and in choice situations respond with a trademark caustic comment.

Still undecided...and as confused.

5 comments:

nitya March 25, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

One of my rules of parenting - learnt from practical experience - you cannot please everyone so you may as well just please yourself and your kid! What say you? :-)
Have a good trip!

Niv March 25, 2009 at 10:17 PM  

Well, the mature me, which is rare:) would say ignore such stuff, because I hear this almost everyday, because I have an underweight, over active champion at home, who has a perenially tired mom:) but the childish me would say, go ahead and say something to get them to shut up for a while, atleast you wont suffer in silence and supress it:)bindass dil khol:)

In love with my life March 26, 2009 at 10:21 AM  

Nitya: I kinda fell for the trap last year and took advices and never got around doing them. This year i guess i'll stick to the latter...
I will tell V to have a good trip..he's going, not meee...bwaaahhh.

Niv: Roger that...right now i'm adding poison to the arrow tips to be used. Just waiting for the right opportunity now.

Nino's Mum March 26, 2009 at 11:23 AM  

I think your doc is right: if he's eating two good meals, is active and not lethargic, you've got nothing to worry *now hides her face hearing her own advice*
Feed him some nice fish in Kerala!

In love with my life March 26, 2009 at 11:47 AM  

Aha..someone's having a " did i just say that?" moment:-). Trust the doc- and you too, to know better.
Fish and chicken are among the stuff that does not have to be fed..they are devoured. He'll have fun with grandparents. I am not goooing...they only want him.