Friday, May 22, 2009

Death of compassion

We(V and myself), are having one of those nocturnal, before drifting off to sleep conversations. Suddenly he sits up, fake fear et all, points to the entrance of the room and says " Aaahhh..a dog is running towards us"

--By now, i am used to his imagination and cooly respond from my splayed out posture " Don't worry kanna, amma will shoo it away"
--V says " No Amma, wait". He then proceeds to roll up the handtowel he carries to bed, makes a gun, and aims to shoot the dog. " There, once i shoot the dog we can go to sleep without worrying".

I am not exactly the poster girl for non- violence, but something about his calm demeanour nags me. But, instead of launching into a sermon, i decide a different take.

--I tell him" Don't shoot it kanna. The dog's mom and dad will be coming behind it. They will be very sad and cry if you shoot their son".
--He pauses for the minute, raises his fake gun and shoots anyway. He then turns and tells me " Don't worry, i have shot the dad and mom also, now they will not cry"

Someone please tell me i missed the memo on " Death of compassion"!!!!!

11 comments:

Nino's Mum May 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM  

:) don't read too much into it. The first time I saw Nino squash a milipede under his foot on purpose and examine the aftereffects with glee, I was heart-broken and in shock.
It's like this: they're testing boundaries in these years - theirs and ours, what works for them and what doesn't, conscience-building, et all.
Try asking him to leave a bowl of milk for the 'dog'. :)

In love with my life May 22, 2009 at 5:07 PM  

That made sense..Waiting to see what creature turns up today. Thanks NM:-)

madhu May 22, 2009 at 7:26 PM  

Damn funny!!. U got to praise his thought train. He is thinking out of the box!!

nitya May 22, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

Oh dear. Is it a boy thing? The brat likes to claim there are monsters visiting in the dark... and he is going to throw them down the well....

maidinmalaysia May 23, 2009 at 5:23 PM  

i think the dog ate the memo. that's why v went after it

In love with my life May 25, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

Madhu: out of the box, he he..as long as he does not get out of the box, i'm fine:-)

Nitya: Should be...trying to be the " Knights in shining armour"

MinM: Yeah..i trust you:-)

Anonymous May 25, 2009 at 9:00 PM  

I'm not going to pretend I've got good advice, but I will say it makes a great story.

VJ May 26, 2009 at 7:38 AM  

LOL !!!
everytime I read stuff like this, it scare me and I think i need to get prepared
Nm's comment really freaks me out !!!

In love with my life May 26, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

Era:Yeah..it is good entertainment.

VJ: No sweat...you'll be ready by the time he is. It always works that way.

Vinita Apte May 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM  

wow :) boys will be always doing the practice of 'Knight in shining armour' right from childhood.Earlier it was swords now its guns.

In love with my life May 28, 2009 at 5:07 PM  

Aqua: Welcome here...

"boys will be always doing the practice of 'Knight in shining armour' right from childhood."...

your'e right. Now with mom, in another ten years, god know which pretty girl??