Thursday, May 28, 2009

Hornbill's call

In the south western corner of our house, there is a sarpa kavu, towered by a grand father tree.. always a cacophony of birds.

Sometime during the fag end of summer vacations, they come in, the Malabar Hornbills...quite, unassuming, hidden among the branches. The first indication of their arrival is their signature calls...shrill and piercing, you could hear them far enough..You have to really strain to see them..they are quite adept at staying hidden.

My memories of this bird are always associated with rains..unlike most of the other birds, they sit out in the rain, and soak it up- without flinching a feather. Watching them, all the stories about how "hornbills are permanently looking for rains" feels so true.

Much like when we were kids. The first rains were always spent outside the house, soaking it up...

- dad, inspecting the fresh leaks from the tiled roof, prodding the dried leaves out of rain water drains, moving the plants from under the thatched shade to the rain.

- mom, standing on the verandah, trying her best to coax me and sister inside, threatening us with diseases varying from cold to pneumonia. Finally giving up and going inside to make tea and pakodas for all of us.

- my sister, running around the house with the mandatory umbrella that mom has forced her to carry- collecting rainwater holding it upside down when mom looks the other way. Standing with her mouth open to drink the rain water and picking up flowers fallen in the first gust.

- me, contended to just stand and feel the rain falling . mandatory umbrella left dutifully inside the house. Moments that feel like heaven, the smell of freshly washed earth, and the pleasure of hearing the hundred frogs and cicadas that have started a harmony.

Last night, i dreamt i was in a forest , and a lone hornbill sounded its signature call.

May is at it's fag end now...

All i need now is you, rain.

Where are you?

13 comments:

madhu May 28, 2009 at 10:40 PM  

well written post

nitya May 29, 2009 at 9:29 AM  

I am waiting too. Although I cannot recognize birds the way you do.
As a way of keeping the tradition, Arjun and I will be standing out, soaking up the rains...
An evocative post that I really enjoyed. Thanks, In love.

In love with my life May 29, 2009 at 11:15 AM  

Madhu: Thank you...rain somehow brings out a lot of emotions.

Nitya: The first rains usually are late evening.Been rushing home early to make sure is don't miss them, holding V's hand.

sole May 29, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

Your writing is beautiful and I can hardly weave such beautiful words! Wonder what MiM found in common :)?? Glad she directed me to yours though!

Nino's Mum May 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM  

Beautiful imagery: reminded me of my childhood. I was never allowed to soak in the rain as well - and the first time I did it without looking back to see if mum and dad were watching, I was alone, and away from home, and I suddenly missed their stern warnings. sigh. I want the rains too.

In love with my life May 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

Sole: Quickly..do you have one half of a locket, or half a line of song?? No? ..ah well!
I am glad MinM did direct you here...there must be something, and we might find that out soon. Always glad to make new friends, welcome aboard.

In love with my life May 29, 2009 at 1:09 PM  

NM:Even noticed rain is an element that brings out memories??- more than any other.

Hopefully we shall have them soon..

Mom Gone Mad May 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

This was a lovely post! As nitya said, evocative.

Made me desperately miss the Kerala monsoon - though all the cousins gathered and a paper boat fest:-)

Oh - but the smell of that laterite soil - nothing like it!

LPaul June 1, 2009 at 4:40 AM  

A very nostalgic post. I still remember your house and the "sarpa kavu" and the "thodi" full of trees. I still remember the first time I came to your place, you told me on the way that "it is my heaven on earth" and I think it rained on our way from "Mannathukavu" bus stop. And I remember the last time I was there, for your birthday in 1991. I hope nothing much has changed over there.Would love to visit again someday.....

In love with my life June 1, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

Changes, yes...but not around the house- Mostly inside. It has alot more trees now, thanks to dad and mom. You should visit. Amma will be thrilled..she remembers you very fondly:-)

In love with my life June 1, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

MGM: Don't remind me of laterite soil..i might be tempted to leave everything and run off to kerala.

Unknown June 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM  

I was looking up a search of Hornbill and Rain when I saw this post listed out in the results under Google search.
I am raised in a suburb of Mumbai, but the call of my native land (I do not know how far I would be correct to call Kerala as my native land because I have lived most of my life in Mumbai)comes from very deep within me. This could be because we miss it a lot, and keep comparing it with what we hear about it from our parents and from what we see during our vacations. Your article has brought back some memories and brought before me the scene that you have so vividly painted. Excellent article. I could imagine myself in that scene. Excellent article. Keep it up.

gopu March 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM  

loved the words. was searching for hornbill-rain-legend and landed on ur page. thanks for reminding of a long lost home & childhood!

k