Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Next time amma, we'll go by plane.

We are back in Mumbai. After 6 days in Bangalore, aching heels and tired limbs, we were looking forward to the 22 hour train journey to catch up on some sleep.What we did not anticipate was..

- Four very bored 8-14 year old playing "word tag", " name, place animal thing" , and "movie names" for 18 hours- closeted in one berth right next to us.
-One less than two year old in the berth on the other side, who derived pleasure out of kicking the partition board.
- People who carry a water cooler in the age of bottled water and who forget to close the tap, thereby soaking the underside of all luggage in next coupe( ours!).
-One 4 year old , gone into hyperdrive.

Conclusions after the journey...

-You can drink as much coffee/ tea onboard without worrying about the calorie intake. it is 90% hot water anyway.
- Food has improved. We actually ate the stuff...( may also have something to do with waking up early)
- Avoid journeys longer that overnite with husband who had loong legs...they don't fit anywhere. On the upper berth, he is constantly blessing who ever passes below. And in the seat, he is spending waking hours trying to figure out which angle to bend them next.
- You cannot stay in the loo for more than sixty seconds...any process that requires longer time will have to wait till destination.
- Your child will not use the loo and washbasin without remarking several times that it is grimy and quoting your " germ theory". He also insisted that we change trains and take a better looking one.
- Never attempt to share a berth with a four year old. They need more space, and most of the time are very adept at pushing off the other occupant.
- Be prepared to be embarassed when your child makes loud remarks about other people in the compartment .Eg: " Amma, that uncle is not washing hands after going to loo", " this train is very dirty, please clean it"- to the cabin attendant.
-Father and son made a chant of" Next time, we'll go by plane" and gave me digusting looks for booking rail tickets.

So much for travelling together and spending time together...Next time, we'll go by plane.

15 comments:

Cynic in Wonderland May 13, 2009 at 6:43 PM  

..well he right no. if uncle hasnt washed hands after loo that is.

and completely agree with husband-long-legs problem. also one gets kicked a lot in trains.

maidinmalaysia May 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM  

oye.
my comment error messaged on me twice?
wassup

In love with my life May 14, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Cyn:He he..That man never apperared towards our side of the compartment after that.
I felt very bad for TB, seeing him struggle to fit his frame all through the journey:-(

MinM:Hmmmrpff!! How dare blogger do this to you???
An enquiry is being commmissioned. Just you wait.

nitya May 14, 2009 at 11:18 AM  

Ah, the brat is back! Hurrah. We haven't yet attempted a train journey - but it is on the cards.... good luck to me! :-)

In love with my life May 14, 2009 at 12:30 PM  

Nitya: You sure you want to do this? V used my various body parts as bed, pillow, swing,punching bag,nail sharpening pad for imaginary lions etc. Wasn't fun by the end of it! Aaaand , you have to share a berth!!! I am not travelling by train again unless they give him a seperate berth.

Nino's Mum May 14, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

rofl! I actually imagined people's heads grazing against your husband's feet! and sonny boy's instructions to the cabin attendent are priceless! you're raising him the right way!
Nino and I love train journeys too: the longest we've done is to Mumbai which is overnight, and I agree about not sharing the berth with a kid!

In love with my life May 14, 2009 at 3:03 PM  

Train journeys are fun..i love watching the lanscape passing by..So does V- he makes a dedicated effort to point out cow dung all through!!!

Somehow this one didn't go down too well.

VJ May 15, 2009 at 4:13 AM  

ROFL about blessing from Top berth!!!
I dont blame V for not using the bathrooms!!
and I now miss these train journeys which are so eventful. I think its heaps better than a plane which has even less space and uneventful.

Anonymous May 15, 2009 at 4:59 AM  

I have to laugh abt this. So last year on our India trip, it was abt Rs30,000 for the 6 of us to fly from Delhi to Bhopal. We said screw that and booked train tickets, we booked 4 ticket in First Class or Class 1 (I dont know what class is that but we could close the sliding doors and the berths were super wide) and it was only Rs5800-one way. Then we had to take the train (AC 2 or 3) I dont know from Bhopal to Nagpur for a wedding.
And my kids were shocked, where is the clean toilet and the bigger seats and why are there people squeezing in our seat. It was all very funny. But in the coupe wala journey, it was so much fun :)

In love with my life May 15, 2009 at 10:28 AM  

We tried for the coupe's ..they get over first.It is quite fun to travel in a coupe`. Your kids must have had a roll:-)

Incidentally,i this is an aberration. I usually love train journeys.

In love with my life May 15, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

VJ: There is an element of fun associated with travelling in train. As in my reply to Sraikh, this one has to be an aberration.

I am not good with planes, i end up with ear pain and motion sickness- not to speak bout the loos that fit half my butt:-)

Anonymous May 25, 2009 at 8:54 PM  

LOL!!! Great description of a train journey. The highlight for me is when the walas come through with their song of "garam chai, chai garam".

As for the loo, I try to avoid it at all costs, however I end up their so much more often than I want to because - let's say my tummy is delicate when in India.

I've seen your comments @ MaidinMalaysia and thought I'd come visit. I am thoroughly enjoying your blog. Nice to meet you.

In love with my life May 26, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

Era: Welcome...and have a cup of chai garam. Have read your blog in bits and pieces. Will make a dedicated effort to read over this weekend.
I love the chai walas too.Half the fun in a train journey is flagging down every passing vendor and examining his wares:-)

starry-eyed June 3, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

Totally sympathise with your husband's 'lenghthy' problems!

having just returned from a vacation that involved plane travel, a toy train (sigghhhhhh!) and the 'regular' Indian Railway...I've decided...NO MORE second class 3 tier sleepers....aaaargh...why do people not sleep?

Which kind of parent doesn't thwack their kids for playing and screaming at 2 am. And which desperate women don't get any other place than the train to bitch about their mother-in-laws in all Indian languages, at 3 am? And how does every sleep-apnea stricken man snore in the uppermost berth where nobody can reach to make him turn over!

Sorry...:) I love day trains, and a/c sleepers, and if I could afford it everytime...planes rock!

As for unavoidable journeys on 3 tier sleepers, non-ac, they will next be undertaken with plenty of mosquito repellant, ear plugs, and yes...a separate berth for Dhruv!

In love with my life June 3, 2009 at 12:46 PM  

Starry eyed: I am with you on every word.

I am also considering investing in a handcuff for my handbag, so i don't have to get up every hour check if it is still there!!!